Friday, March 14, 2008

That Old Familiar Feeling...

I am referring, of course, to buyer's remorse. For me, buying property is always filled with anxiety before the contract is written, and remorse as soon as I sign the document. I wrote a contract on a house in Pleasantville yesterday, so today I am sitting beneath a familiar pile of steaming buyer's remorse. But this is certainly not as bad as the remorse I felt after I saw the Wit's End landslide. (For those of you arriving late to remorse-fest, I own a major landslide on the fair isle of Dominica which has rendered nearly 5 acres of land unbuildable)

Mr. Wizard is still down in Dominica, and has not seen the property I have chosen, so any failure in this purchase is squarely upon my shoulders. That means I cannot blame the Wiz if I don't like it. hmmm...

Now, the reason I am here buying property and he is still on Dominica doing the packing is that I do not trust him to buy a home for me. We value very different things in a home. Yet, he is able to turn me loose with the checkbook to buy a property sight unseen to him. I suppose that is a sign that he is a person of character. Hell, I have not even sent him digital pictures! Obviously, he is a more trusting soul than I am. But he also does not have to bear the full weight of the decision.

I will hear today if my low offer is accepted, and I am very mixed about it. I know my remorse will be worse either way: I will be sad if I do not get the property and I will dwell on it's good points, and I will be full of fault finding if they accept the contract.

leavingdominica: aren't you glad you do not live in my head?

5 comments:

Tom said...

I think it's great you two can operate like this. It saves gobs of time.

Besides, you can have all the painting and tile work done by the time Roger gets there. Hopefully there's some hardwood floors to refinish as I know how much you'd love to try that!

Tom

zooms said...

All the best Jen.
Breathe. xxx

Tom said...

Goober- Are you ever going to tell us what happened?

Tom

La Gringa said...

Jen, I was so surprised. I am horribly behind on my blog reading and didn't have a clue.

I'm so sorry that things didn't work out for you, but I know you'll be happy to get back to nursing. Dominica's loss is the US's gain.

Best wishes to you and Mr. Wizard.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

Good luck on your offer. Nice to e-visit with you...

Telling my story this morning in celebration of veinte aƱos en cinco de mayo. How did that happen?

Love, Sally
aka Saratica