Sunday, February 10, 2008

Here in the Frozen North

Honestly? Today I am very glad to be exactly where I am. The lacy black tree branches against the sky are beautiful to me, even though everything is a bit gray. The bare trees also allow for a beautiful vista of twinkling lights in the valley below the posh house where I am staying. Aren't I lucky to have friends and family with posh houses who are willing to welcome a poor wayfarer?

I had forgotten how dry it is here during the winter when the heated air sucks the moisture out of skin and nose. Funny how we forget things like that. I know the little details of my island life will soon become vague also. I'll probably forget the house geckos, and the natural sounds that permeate a tropical home. I wish I could encase some of my memories under a bell jar to savor, but distance and time will rob me of Dominica, just like a faint scent fading away.

The easy abundance here is astonishing. It is odd to see the sheer variety of products, choices and tempting products again. I ate my first real American hamburger in several years. Soul food... funny how comforting something like the familiar taste of childhood can be.

leavingdominica: So far no regrets...

2 comments:

Helga said...

Hi Jen,
I know the feeling....felt that way when I came back too. Except today is bitterly cold and I am looking forward to Spring.

What you said about the dry skin is sooooo true. My skin is wrinkled and flaky and my nose is all dried out too.

The first thing I had to eat when I came home was a (real) pizza and good red wine. I think I missed the variety of food even more being there a shorter period of time because I never did get to master using Dominican ingredients or know what to buy where. Cooking was very frustrating for me.

Wish you well!!!

Helga

living the good life said...

Jen, hope all is well with you way up in the freezing cold. Will be faithfully be reading your blog.
All the best.