Monday, February 4, 2008

Waiting in the Endless Rain

I have packed 6 shipping barrels, the survival gear for my North American incarnation. I have also packed 2 enormous suitcases, my laptop, and my carry on bag. Nothing much left to do but wait and watch the gray sky meeting the gray sea. It has been unusually overcast the last few days, lots of rain and little sun. Carnival is certainly damp and cool this year, poor revelers. I am not up for "Mas" this year, as I await my departure. Sad, sad, sad.

I have so many decisions to make. I just got an offer to go back and work in the Cardiac Catheterization Lab where I worked before my departure for Dominica. I am just not sure. That position requires a lot of on call, which means being a slave to the pager. Time is of the essence when there is a cardiac emergency during the night, so you have to be ready to awaken, throw on clothes while nuking the coffee,and drive to the hospital within 30 minutes. Since I have been lounging in the tropics for a couple of years, that would be a tough reentry, I think.

I could also go back to doing Intensive Care or Hemodialysis. I am just not sure where I will plant myself. But the enthusiastic interest from up North kind of makes me want to stick out my tongue at the people who refused to license me in Dominica and say, "Look at all the offers I have from those who have worked with me!"

I also heard from a psychiatric hospital looking for an old nurse. After living on Dominica, I think I would feel right at home working again in psychiatry. After all, every trip to Roseau is an encounter with mental illness. Years ago I did psych nursing. We used to say you could only tell the staff from the patients by checking to see who was carrying keys to the door. Yeah, listening to delusional mutterings sounds more agreeable than wearing that electronic leash, the pager, again.

So, I have a lot of possibilities.

I wrote something in my book about the Goddess who dwells on Dominica. For me there is a presence here like nowhere I have visited. But I have come to know that presence more intimately, and she is (at least sometimes) Kali, Goddess of destruction.

I am the dance of death that is
behind all life
the ultimate horror
the ultimate ecstasy
I am existence
I am the dance of destruction that
will end this world
the timeless void
the formless devouring mouth
I am rebirth
Let me dance you to death
Let me dance you to life
Will you walk through your fears to dance with me?
Will you let me cut off your head
and drink your blood?
then will you cut off mine?
Will you face all the horror
all the pain
all the sorrow
and say "yes"?
I am all that you dread
all that terrifies
I am your fear
will you meet me?


leavingdominica: off to meet a fresh batch of fears...

4 comments:

Tom said...

Do not make me whack you over the head with a rubber chicken!!!

When George was elected for the second time Kali realized she could never cause more destruction, so she quit. I thought you knew.

Anyway, don't be afraid, you can do this in your sleep and we're all here for ya too.

Editor B said...

Well, Jen, your departure comes as a bit of a shock but I'm sure you're doing what's best for you.

What puzzles me is that I note the previous posts on this "Leaving Dominica" blog actually go back a few months. I guess you were thinking about this for a while.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my, I just caught up! Wow. I understand everything you've been going thru. I'm half jealous, very sad... life is harder in so many ways here, no question. Especially the money thing. If we can work it out, the decision to stay or go will be so much clearer for us. I can't believe how my emotions are mixed for you!!!

You will be successful wherever you go, no worries there. Dominica is foolish to lose you. Like I believe Costa Rica is foolish to try to remake itself in the image of the U.S. Why do they think we came here with our money? Anyway...

And, pray tell, where is the real estate so cheap? That's another discouraging thing - it ain't as cheap to live here as one would have one believe!!! I'm pretty certain I could live in Gainesville for less...

Good luck to you, Jen my dear! You will be the hit of every party with your stories of life in the tropics, I'm SURE!!!! Hope we meet someday...

Love and muchos brazos, Sally

Helga said...

Hi Jen,
I don't know you if received my previous comment(never blogged before.) I was shocked when I saw you were leaving Dominica. You were the one that saved me when I panicked because I had to leave. I am back in the States, but miss DM dearly. Don't think I could have made it there on my own though.

Are you okay? How's the work situation? Please keep me posted.